President Cyril Ramaphosa says significant progress has been made in implementing the recommendations of Commission of Inquiry into State Capture.
It’s two years since the commission held its final public hearing.
State Capture was an orchestrated theft of billions of rands through the manipulation of operations at state institutions.
In his weekly letter to the public, Ramaphosa says government’s aim is to avoid the capture of the state again.
Although it cost the state close to R1 billion, far more than any other South African judicial inquiry, the State Capture is said to have saved the country billions of rands.
Ramaphosa says they have made progress in recovering the proceeds of crime emanating from the State Capture.
He says freezing orders to the tune of R13 billion have been granted to the National Prosecuting Authority ( NPA) with a total of over R5 billion been traced and returned to the state.
Ramaphosa says out of the 205 recommendations on the criminal investigations and possible prosecutions, at least nine cases are in court involving 41 accused persons and 12 companies.
He insists that work has been done to restore the integrity and effectiveness of the affected state institutions including the appointment of capable leaders to lead them.
In October last year, I submitted the government’s plan to Parliament in relation to the implementation of the State Capture Commission’s recommendations. Since then, significant progress has been made to implement various parts of the plan.https://t.co/gMdQZwo71X… pic.twitter.com/MJgEPGGMJ5
— Cyril Ramaphosa (@CyrilRamaphosa) August 14, 2023
The post Significant progress in implementing State Capture recommendations: Ramaphosa appeared first on SABC News .